The gluten free way of life is becoming more and more prevalent throughout Canada. A recent study "Canada Attitudes to Gluten Free Study" commissioned by Udi's Healthy Foods discovered that an amazing 4.3 Canadians (12.3 per cent) have gone gluten free! Even those who are not medically diagnosed are finding benefit from the diet, as 21 per cent due to gluten intolerance and 15 per cent are eliminating gluten to support a relative or friend. Those surveyed reported a healthier weight, improved activity levels, improved gastrointestinal health and a better mood. Some additional facts from this recent survey can be explored here.
With these facts being presented, the most common food item that Canadians on a gluten free diet struggled with was bread. Udi's was one of my first bread products that I actually enjoyed and I didn't feel so inconvenienced by being on a gluten free diet for life. For this Fall Comfort Challenge, I have used a few of Udi's Products to create a wonderful and delicious Apple Crisp made from the Mighty Bagel (Cranberry and Seed Bagel) and Snickerdoodle Cookies! The recipe is warm, fresh and makes a great quick dessert (or breakfast in the case of my little taste testers).
Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Apple Crisp
5 apples, thinly sliced and diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
2 Udi's Gluten Free Mighty Bagel, toasted until golden and cut into fours
4 Udi's Gluten Free Snickerdoodle Cookies
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1. Combine apples, lemon juice, honey, chopped pecans and spices in a large bowl. Mix to ensure all apples are coated.
2. Pour apple mixture into small ramekins for individual crisps or a large baking dish.
3. In a food processor, combine bagel, cookies and oil/butter. Pulse until mixture becomes a medium sized breadcrumb consistency.
4. Spoon bagel and cookie mixture over apples.
5. Bake at 375F for 20-25 minutes until tops are golden brown.
6. Enjoy on its own or topped with yogurt or ice cream!
Udi's would love to spread the word about their wonderful gluten free products and have offered one of Gluten Free Twin Mom's a fantastic Giveaway!! Valued at $150 the giveaway includes Udi's Gluten Free Products, a wooden cutting board and a cozy throw!
Contest ends October 30th and is open to residents of Canada only. Good luck!
a Rafflecopter giveaway