We were lucky enough to kick off our Calgary Stampede festivities this year with a backyard Stampede Breakfast hosted by our friend from Centre Street Style. She sure knows how to throw an amazing event with entertainment and delicious food. A stampede breakfast isn't complete without a pancakes, hash browns, eggs and bacon and they were all gluten free! My girls were begging for just one more pancake!! There was also a toss the farm animal game and a colorful candy bar for the kids (and the big kids too!). The fabulous entertainment was provide by country star Codie Prevost and his band whom got everyone to put their cowboy boots to good use on the dance floor. Cannot wait until next years event!
We are looking forward to heading down to the grounds on Wednesday to see my cousin perform in the Grandstand Show with the young Canadians. I also cannot wait for my girls to experience the superdogs, chuckwagons and visit all the animals in the barns. One of my favorite things about the Stampede is all the yummy foods you can enjoy in one place! It is the one time a year I let myself indulge in a candy apple!! When you head to the grounds this year, make sure to check out these gluten free eats:
- SaltSpring Noodle Bar: Enjoy a pineapple curry or spicy pad thai served on brown rice.
- French Cut Fries: Who doesn't love fries as a tasty snack?
- Jumbo turkey legs: guaranteed to give you your daily intake of protein.
- Naaco Truck: Savor the flavors of their delicious Bolly Chips and Naaco Bites which are chicken bites battered in corn and chickpea flour. They also offer all of their Naaco entrees served with rice instead of naan which are an excellent gluten free alternative. If you are super sensitive, ensure to ask about any cross contamination in the deep fryers.
- Los Compardes: one of my favorites offering up a Mexican feast of fresh tacos: steak, pork, chorizo and a variety of quesadillas.
- Booster Juice: for your midday fruit intake.
- Lemonade Stands: to quench your thirst grab a refreshing lemonade available in a variety of flavors.
- Sugar Creek Kettle Corn: a bit of sweet and salty in every bite of popcorn.
- Avatara Pizza: offering gluten free pizza with a variety of delicious toppings.
- Ice Cream and Frozen Yogurt Stands: last but not least, when the heat becomes to much or you need a night time nible, make sure to check out the many ice cream and frozen yogurt standard for a tasty treat
I hope you all get to enjoy your little piece of the 2013 Calgary Stampede and get to indulge in a treat or two or three!