Coconut oil has many health benefits:
- No trans fats
- Contains healthy saturated fats
- It has antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal and antibacterial properties to help heal numerous ailments.
- Beneficial for the heart and helps with high cholesterol and blood pressure
- Helpful in reducing weight and aiding digestion
- Effective skin moisturizer and helps repair damaged hair
- Numerous other uses which can be read about on Organika's Blog
Coconut oil can be used in cooking as a substitute for butter, margarine, shortening and vegetable oils and can be substituted with the same amount as called for. It can be used in its solid form or can be melted on the stove to use in its liquid form. I took a small shortcut and placed the cup of coconut oil on the stovetop which the oven was preheating and had melted coconut oil within a few minutes.
I loved how easy it was to make the substitution and was very impressed by the texture of Organika's Coconut Oil. I enjoyed how it created a velvety batter and produced a very fresh and delicious muffin. I look forward to my many more adventures with this new product.
Also check out the Organika website for a full list of all the organic and health related products they offer and where these items can be purchased. They were also kind enough to send me a bottle of their Coconut Aminos, so more great recipes to follow next week!
1 cup all purpose gluten free flour mix (if mix does not include xanthum/guar gum, also add 1/2 tsp xanthum gum)
1 cup quick oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/3 cup shredded or fine unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup Greek coconut yogurt (plain yogurt will work as well)
1/4 cup Organika's Organic Coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 mango diced
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients in a bowl, except for mango.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry mix and mix to incorporate. Fold in diced mango.
- Pour into greased muffins tins and bake for 18-20 minutes for mini muffins and 22-25 for larger muffins. Enjoy!