For dessert I wanted to make on of our favorite recipes, Gluten Free Trail Bars, they are easy to make and are on the healthier side. We have made them for many years now and they are always our go to when it comes to potlucks or holiday functions. The original recipe was found on the inside of a Kellogg's Rice Krispie Cereal box prior to the girl's diagnosis and I have modified it to be gluten free.
You can use any gluten free cereal you would like, I have used Brown Rice Krispies, Nature's Path Flakes, Chex and Cocoa Quinoa Cereal. You can also add a variety of dried fruit, cut up apricots taste really good with or without the chocolate added. We love that these bars are so versatile and they never last very long in our house, hope you enjoy!
Gluten Free Trail Bars
1/4 cup Margarine or Butter
10 cups Miniature Marshmallows (500g bag)
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup pumpkin seeds, unsalted
1 cup dried cranberries
5 cups Gluten Free Rice Crisp Cereal
3 cups Other gluten free cereal
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, keep in freezer for 3 hours prior to making recipe (add more if desired)
1. In a large non-stick pot on medium heat, melt margarine/butter.
2. Stir in vanilla extract and miniature marshmallows, continue to stir until marshmallows are completely melted.
3. Stir in pumpkin seeds and cranberries.
4. Stir in cereals and mix will until all ingredients are well coated with melted marshmallows.
5. Allow to cool for a moment and then stir in frozen chocolate chips.
6. Pour into a large baking pan or casserole dish. Allow to cool and enjoy!