I am in the midst of planning my Easter dinner tomorrow evening, but I decided to take some time out to bake some fresh bread. Before my daughters were diagnosed I used to buy all my bread products, however there was three of us needing gluten free bread, we started to bake our own. As listed in a previous post, we use the Cuisinart Convection Bread Maker and it works perfectly. This loaf of bread requires quite a few different gluten free flours which can be found at most specialty stores and in some major grocery chains which have specialist sections. Hope you enjoy!
Gluten Free Multigrain Bread
1/4 cup potato starch
1/4 cup quinoa flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup ground flax seeds (pulse whole flax seeds in processor until grounded)
1/4 cup corstarch
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp guar gum
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
4 egg whites
3/4 cup water at room temperature
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp bread machine yeast
1. Mix the first ten ingredients together in a bowl.
2. Add egg whites to a mixing bowl and beat on medium with an electrical mixer until soft peaks form. Add the other wet ingredients to the bowl and mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
3. Add wet ingredients to bread machine pan. Add dry flour mixture on top. Make a slight well in centre of the flour and add the bread machine yeast.
4. Set bread machine to Gluten Free Cycle, 2 lb loaf and choose medium or dark for the crust.
5. While the dough is mixing, make sure to scrape the sides to enable all ingredients to be incorporated.
6. Once the mixing cycle ends, remove the paddle and allow bread machine to rise and bake.
7. Once bread is baked, remove from pan immediately and allow to cool.
Tip: I usually allow my loaf to completely cool prior to cooling. To freeze, cut loaf and store on the counter for a day or in the fridge and then move to the freezer. If loaf is not completely cooled, pieces will still together.
Making Bread without a Bread Maker: Combine all dry and wet ingredients, plus 2 tsp active dry yeast and mix well. Pour into a greased bread pan. Cover pan with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm location for 50-60 minutes. Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes until crust is golden brown and internal temperature is 200F. Remove from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack.