Happy weekend everyone! This is one of the first weekends were we actually have no huge plans or projects, nice every once in a while. Therefore there may be tons of baking this weekend, I can never seem to sit still.
Growing up spaghetti was never a favorite of mine. However the pasta you can now get is delicious compared to 10 years ago, plus when I was pregnant I wanted to eat pasta sauce for every meal. In our household, spaghetti with this bolognese sauce is a family favorite. This sauce can be made with a variety of different meats and packs in a variety of vegetables. This sauce is perfect served with any type of pasta or spaghetti squash.
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 slices Capocollo, cubed (I used Mastro Hot Capocollo slices)
1 pound ground beef or ground chicken
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced small
1 carrot, diced small
1/2 pepper, diced small
1/2 zucchini, diced small
8-10 mushrooms, sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried nutmeg
1 tsp thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup tomato paste
1 cup white wine
1 can tomato sauce (398ml)
Pasta or Spaghetti Squash
Grated Parmesan Cheese to taste
1. In a large sauce pot, heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
2. Add capocollo and cook for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add ground meat and cook until browned, 10-12 minutes.
4. Add onion, celery and carrots, cook for 5 minutes.
5. Next add pepper, zucchini, mushrooms and garlic cloves and cook for 5-6 minutes more.
6. Add seasonings and tomato paste, stir for 1 minute until mixed in and then add wine while scraping the bottom of the pan. Allow wine to slightly reduce and then add in tomato sauce and reduce heat to low. Add more tomato sauce to your own preference. Cook on low for 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
7. Serve with cooked pasta or spaghetti squash. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
To cook spaghetti squash, cut square in half and scoop out seeds. Lay each half rind side up in a casserole dish with a 1/2 inch of water. Bake at 375 F for 40-45 minutes. Scrape inside of spaghetti squash with a fork, squash is done when strands can be easily removed.